Description of End Violence Toward People With Varying Abilities Caucus:
The Abilities Caucus is a group of individuals who are deeply passionate in our commitment to strengthen understanding in the intersection of ability in respect to American Disability Act (ADA guidelines), oppression, and domestic/intimate partner/sexual violence. This group will meet regularly to discuss barriers and challenges, share information, exchange promising and best practices, participate in training sessions, encourage collaboration on relevant projects, provide mentorship, and an opportunity for coalition building in a safe space that is dedicated to members of this caucus. To foster productive networking opportunities, Caucus Leaders will conduct conference calls, quarterly meetings, provide mentorship, and facilitate information sharing via listserv group.
The mission of the Abilities Caucus is to create awareness about all forms of abuse including domestic, intimate partner, sexual violence and oppression and to advocate for initiatives in upholding human rights and needs of all Ohio survivors/co-survivors with varying abilities through national multi-disciplinary collaboration.
Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) recognizes the value and necessity to work with traditionally under-represented communities due to the unique cultural impact that domestic/intimate partner/sexual violence and oppression has on Disability and Deaf/Hard of Hearing/DeafBlind community. Historically, members of both communities are often marginalized in anti-oppression work and domestic/sexual violence movements. In respect to this, OAESV and ODVN are fully invested in the creation and sustainability of internal safe space for information sharing and nurturing leadership.
Goals and Objectives:
- To advocate for the human rights and needs of survivors/co-survivors with varying abilities in Disability and Deaf/Hard of Hearing/Deaf Blind communities.
- To increase public awareness on abuse, domestic violence, intimate partner violence, sexual violence, and oppression and the impact of prevalence among survivors/co-survivors in these respective communities.
- To facilitate Anti-Oppression training sessions for Ohio regions in partnership with the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence (OAESV) and ODVN beginning in 2011 and beyond.
- To develop an accessible online directory within OAESV and ODVN websites for survivors/co-survivors in these communities within Ohio.
- To educate political entities in Ohio on the human rights and needs of survivors/co-survivors in these communities in partnership with OAESV and ODVN.
- To engage in educational activities designed to aid in the development of legislation supportive in reinforcing human rights of survivors of abuse, domestic, intimate partner, and sexual violence in partnership with OAESV and ODVN.
- To advocate for transformation into culturally sensitive and accessible services within service delivery systems to fully address the issues related to abuse, domestic, intimate partner, and sexual violence for survivors with varying abilities in these communities.
- To provide leadership in development of best practice protocols on effective multi-disciplinary response to crime victims with varying abilities who disclose abuse, domestic violence, intimate partner violence, and sexual violence in the state of Ohio.
- To encourage collaboration among Abilities Caucus members and agencies serving these communities in a partnership to secure funding streams in addressing this issues for survivors/co-survivors of these communities in Ohio.
- To strengthen collaborative efforts in implementing the goals and objectives of Abilities Caucus through facilitation of statewide networking process between caucus members and agencies serving these communities.
The End Violence Toward People with Varying Abilities Caucus is committed to creating awareness about the issue of domestic violence in the lives of all women with varying abilities and to advocate for initiatives and foster collaborations that address this issue. Please contact our ODVN Outreach Coordinator to Underserved Populations for information about meetings or to join this taskforce.